After my doctor's appointment yesterday, we stopped by the 577 Foundation in Perrysburg to check out the grounds. This is such a neat place! So much to see and do that our kids were hopping from one area to the next because something new was always catching their eye. The information pamphlet says this place was founded by Virginia Secor Stranahan and "is dedicated to preserving the integrity of the historic property at 577 East Front Street" in Perrysburg. It also goes on to state that the Foundation "is an ecologically sensitive place that encourages diversity and seeks to foster exploration, experimentation, personal enjoyment, and creativity in education."
So here's a couple spots we explored...
First was a year-round greenhouse called the Geodesic Biodome. Includes organically grown flowers, herbs, and vegetables.
And fish!
Poor Brody. He hit his mouth on the bench, and I still took his picture.
They were feeding the fish here.
Isn't that view lovely? I am sure people come here for professional pics!
Um, cute!!
Then the next batch of pictures were all a part of the area called Virginia's Children's Garden, "a space that fosters a natural occurring educational process within the ever-curious child."
Neat little hut with table and chairs inside.
A tunnel to crawl through, however, it was very dirty inside, and the twins kept slipping and falling.
This bridge crossed over to an area with instruments and then an obstacle course.
They look like they're playing "restaurant" here!
Here we were heading out towards the River Walk, which we didn't travel down. The boys just wanted to see the windmill.
Nice view of the Maumee!
Love these shots of the girlie!
Walking a path through one of the Community Gardens.
Did's Dig is a silica shale fossil rock pile. You could find various types of fossils to take home with you. They didn't have too much interest in this actually.
My favorite stop was the Log Cabin. This was built in 1803, moved to the 577 in 1995, and is replicated to reflect the 19th century. I think this would be so neat to have in your backyard so the kids could make-believe in here!
We didn't check out all they had to offer, so we'll definitely be coming back at some point. I highly recommend!!

3 comments:
Wow! So cool. I've looked up a bunch of the scheduled activities they offer and always felt a daily dose of working-mom's-guilt when I saw that they were only on weekdays during a normal work day. (Same with pretty much all library activities too.) But I didn't realize they had a property like that that you could just go and visit. Will definitely bookmark that as a must-do! Thanks for sharing!
This is amazing. We have been past this place every day just have never stopped. Great photos and info! Thanks!
Ohhhhh my goodness! A few things:
1. I have been missing your blog posts for like two months or so! They never come up on my list of new posts of the "Blogs I'm Following". I have even gone a few times and clicked on your blog name and it shows the most recent post to be "After the Storms". Then I saw Casey's blog post about the 577 foundation and that you had blogged about it so I knew I was missing something. Low and behold I actually opened up your blog and boy have I been missing out! I assumed you took the summer off of blogging or something, but I was sure wrong! lol! Now I have plenty of reading material on my iphone to keep me awake for my middle of the night nursing sessions! I'm glad to have discovered your blog again because you always have so many cute ideas and cute pictures :)
2. Your kids are adorable!
3. The 577 Foundation looks like a great idea! I have looked into doing some classes there a few times, but had no idea that there were so many other things to do there!
4. Sorry this comment is so long, but now you can probably expect comments more often! haha
Post a Comment