First of all, I am very passionate about the endless benefits that breastfeeding has on both baby and mother. Breastfeeding protects your baby from gastrointestinal problems, ear infections, respiratory problems; it may boost your child's intelligence; it may protect your child from developing childhood leukemia and type 1 diabetes; it reduces your baby's risk of SIDS; it helps moms lose the baby weight; and it may reduce a mother's risk of developing osteoporosis and some types of cancer later in life. With all that being said, I could care less how someone else decides to nourish her baby. I would never look down on someone else for formula feeding. But for MY babies, breastmilk is the only way.
A little history here...my goal with Brody was to breastfeed exclusively for at least six months. I met that goal and decided to keep on going because of all the many benefits. We did start introducing formula at six months for only the two feedings that he missed from me while I was at work. He HATED...no, LOATHED formula! I can't say I blame him...it tastes about as nasty as it smells, yuck! So Kris would mix the formula with frozen milk, gradually increasing the amount of formula so that almost the entire bottle was formula. After school let out that summer (Brody was about 8 months), I just decided that since I'd be with him all summer long I might as well continue to nurse him. Then something happened to change my mind again...it's called TEETH!!! I was bit so hard twice in the same feeding and then again during the very next feeding that I decided to stop. I also wanted to try and get pregnant again, so that played into the decision to stop nursing as well. So Brody continued to get stored milk until about 9 months, and then he drank formula for the next couple months until switching to whole milk at 11 and a half months.
When we found out we were having twins, it never did cross my mind that they would receive anything except for my milk! However, I was nervous about making enough to feed both babies, as well as having time to nurse both while simultaneously caring for a toddler. The twins are just over two months old, and everything is working out just fine. It is getting easier to make trips out of the house now that the babies will go about 3 hours between feedings, and it is getting slightly easier to time feedings so that Brody's schedule doesn't get altered too much. When I go back to work next school year, the babies will be almost a year old. They WILL be breastfed their entire first year of life!
There are quite a few wonderful positions one can use to nurse twins at the same time. I do feed them at the same time once in awhile, but I much prefer to feed them one right after the other. They don't seem to eat as well when I feed them together. They fuss and wiggle all around, and I just don't feel like they get a good feeding. Plus, Jaxson needs to pause to be burped a couple times, and that is difficult to do when I am also feeding Emmy and have no one to help me. I also would rather nurse one at a time so that I have one hand free to read Brody a book, make Brody's lunch, help him use the potty, put Brody in time-out, talk on the phone, give Brody snuggles--all of which I have done before! I have really gotten a lesson in multi-tasking these past couple months!!
Here I am with the babes after a double-feed and burp session. They were about a month old, I think. I look just lovely, huh??
How great is this picture? My sister and I feeding our babies on Halloween (Do you see the tiger hiding underneath the blanket? ROOOOAAARRRR! LOL!). Don't worry...I did ask her permission to post this picture.
Finally, the greatest aspect of nursing is the bond that forms between mother and child. It is something that can't be put into words until you experience it for yourself. I LOVE when one of my babies takes a little break from eating, and when I look down at them they are looking up at me giving me the biggest smile ever! It's like they're thinking, "Gee, Mommy...you're wonderful...thanks for giving me the best start in life."
Brody on 9/28/07
Jaxson & Emersyn on 9/2/09


5 comments:
Finally....I have an account and can tell you what a joy it is to read all about the Garman family. I really think you should write a book Kelly! You are a beautiful goddaughter and I am so very proud of you.
I feel like you said everything I have been thinking. It is the most amazing thing in the world to breastfeed. It blows my mind with all of the benefits and to think a woman's body can just do it naturally. I had the same worries about making enough milk, but if you want it to work it definitely can and does. Major kudos to you for sticking to it. It takes a lot of work to feed twins, but like you said I wouldn't have it any other way. Your healthy and happy babies are all the thanks you need!
I am inspired by your dedication and patience to nurse the twins...let alone Brody last year. However, I feel it's not for everyone. The benefits are momumental when it works out, but I won't allow myslef to feel bad that I quit after two months. Gavin wasn't gaining weight, he stopped latching on, and the frustration and stress about it brought me to tears daily....as I know it does to many. I however, chose to introduce formula. Stinky, smelly formula. I bow to those that have the stamina to keep it up. I really do. But please don't look down on me for not. I truely enjoyed the bond and I cried again as I gave it up...but everyone is different.
"With all that being said, I could care less how someone else decides to nourish her baby. I would never look down on someone else for formula feeding. But for MY babies, breastmilk is the only way."
Taken directly from my post!
Sorry Kel, I didn't want you to respond like that...I just felt bad after reading that post. I get emotional about stuff sometimes when I shouldn't. I surely do know that you don't look down on others! :)
Post a Comment