Monday, November 30, 2009

'Tis the Season

We are getting the house ready for Christmas, and it is making me very excited! Sunday afternoon we got out Brody's Fisher Price Nativity Set that he received from my mom. I love this! He is not too young to start learning what Christmas is really all about. I do not want any of our children to think that it's all presents, presents, presents. We also have a lift-the-flap book about the birth of Jesus, and he is enjoying that as well.

He was showing Kris "mama" (Mary).

There's an angel on top that you push and "Away in a Manger" starts playing.

Giving Baby Jesus a kiss!


Here is his Advent calendar. My grandma used to send us one of these when we were young, and now my mom is doing the same for her grandkids! I remember arguing with my siblings as to who would get to open the last flap on Christmas Eve. (Don't tell, but I used to sneak open one single corner to try and see what was underneath, hee hee!)


This snowman sings "Peppermint Twist" and twirls around a string of peppermints. Very cute, but we'll be changing the batteries often, I think.


Much different reaction to Holiday Singing Elmo this year...
This was how he felt about it last year, haha!

Tonight we put the tree up, so of course we needed some tree-themed food, right? Brody had this along with his dinner tonight. He helped use the star cookie cutter. The version of this that I originally saw was MUCH cuter than mine--it called for sugar snap peas, but this was the only green veggie we had ready to go. Not bad, but I'd like to do it again with the sugar snaps.


And this was Brody's snack later in the evening. It's supposed to be an ornament (see the pretzel hook on top?). It kept him busy while I organized the branches and got started assembling the tree.


Mmm mmm!


Pushing the tree box to the living room


Before...


After! It now needs some major fluffing, lights, and ornaments. But it's up, yea!!
By the way, that thing on Brody's sweatshirt has been a fixture the past couple days. He is intrigued by all the many gadgets on Kris's uniform and belt. The other night he wanted Kris's badge so Kris got him a plastic pin that looks like one.

4 comments:

Megan said...

We just got that nativity set for Gavin! We have several books as well. I hope by next year, he will start to "get" what it all means, but you're absolutely right when you say it's never to early to start. And I have to add I LOVE all the food snacks you come up with! I need a notebook to jot them all down for future months...you're so creative Kel:)

tnbink said...

ok...so I talk to you everyday yet still feel the need to post comments to you on your blog because they SERIOUSLY crack me up! So much in fact that party of 5 is one of my homepage tabs on our snazy new computers! So that being said...this is my favorite post so far(poop in a close close second) and per usual I have a couple things to say!
First...HOW DARE YOU! That is horrible misuse of the advent calender! hehe just kidding...I did the same thing but would try to seperate the cardboard front from the back enough to look up at the pics(only worked when 24 was towards the edge though)
2- so the tacky yet hilarious snowman that Dad got uis entertains Brodster huh? Means I actually have to put batteries in it?!
3- I totally beat you decorating. oh wait you have 3X the amount of kids as me so I guess that doesn't count!
4- I can NOT wait to copy your creative treats he he
5- Brody gets cuter every dang time I look at him
and lastly...maybe most importantly...
Emmy needs a sister so she can carry on the other tradition.....WEE SING!!!!!

Casey Rethman said...

My mom bought that Nativity scene for Will and all future grandchildren last year. He loved it. Especially the donkey...he walked around saying "hee haw" all day. LOL

Also, just a thought....we want the girls to know the meaning of Christmas too so we asked all of the grandparents to limit their gifts to 3 (to symbolize the gifts the wisemen brought). I told them I don't want it to be all about presents either. If they wanted to spend more money we are more than happy to put cash in their bank accounts!

Jodi said...

Hey Kelly! Unbelievable. How do you have time to think of such fun activities and fun food ideas?? It was so great to see the kids. You have a beautiful family:)

Miss you & talk to you soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...