One year ago. Gosh, a year just makes it sound like an eternity ago. But it wasn't, really. There are things I remember so vividly. There are things I'm sure I've forgotten. But as I lay down in bed the night of Tuesday, September 1st, predictions had been made...
The tootsies were ready to go, thanks to a really understanding husband...
37 weeks and ready to burst at the seams...
...there were so many, many thoughts running through my mind. Kris's mom was already at our house to take care of Brody. My little boy...what was he going to think about all this?? Mostly I was anxious about the health of both babies. I knew I was plenty far-enough along in the pregnancy, and everything up until that point looked great with both babies, but I still was very worried. I was also concerned about my health/blood pressure issues. I kept stressing over what if something happens to me, and I leave Kris to take care of 3 little ones all by himself??
Between the crazy thoughts bouncing all around in my head and countless trips to the bathroom, obviously I did not get much sleep that night. I was up early to shower, and I really still couldn't believe that this was the day. I would be looking at the precious faces of my two new babies in a matter of hours! I remember taking one long, last look at my huge belly in the mirror and thinking how amazing a woman's body is. That my body could grow, nourish, and protect two little babies is nothing short of a miracle.
At the hospital, we arrived early for registration and paperwork. We went to our room, I got changed into a gown, IV fluids were started, and my family was able to come back and stay right in the room with me. Amazingly, the time seemed to pass fairly quickly, even with the c-section being pushed back by two hours. My nerves hit the ultimate peak when the nurses came in and said everything was ready to go. As I was being wheeled out of the room and down a long hallway, I think I was just in shock. Omigosh, this is really happening. Now. Please God, let everything be okay. Please. Please.
Here my memory is a little clouded. From the second we entered the OR until I saw my first baby, it was all just a flurry of activity, and it made me incredibly more anxious, so I just had to either close my eyes or stare off into space. I do, however, remember that the nurse anesthetist was amazing. She was talking to me the whole time and had such a calming effect on me. As my doctor (who had her partner there to assist) started the incision, Kris was brought in to sit at my right side.
Emersyn was lying completely transverse (sideways), and I'll never forget the words my doctor said after delivering her at 12:32 PM: "First baby's out...and it's a girl!!!" Kris and I turned to each other and just burst into tears. NO!! WAY!! I have a girl!!!
Jaxson, who was in the breech position throughout the pregnancy, was delivered at 12:33 PM: "Baby B...is a BOY!!" More tears. How perfect. One boy, one girl. Nine months of waiting, wondering, and daydreaming...are they boys? girls? one of each?...this was the grandest of surprises.
I didn't get to see any of the activity surrounding the babies immediately after they were born. But there was a neonatologist there who checked their vitals and made sure all was well. Kris was able to snap a few pictures before they were wrapped up in blankies. I just lay there...listening to the beautiful sounds of my two perfectly healthy, perfectly stunning babies exercising those lungs. :)
Then Kris, with a baby in each arm, walked them back down to our room to announce the big news to my family. There was a nurse (or maybe 2?) walking behind him for support to ensure he didn't pass out or something from all the excitement, emotion, etc. I am really bummed that I did not get to witness my family's reactions and see their faces as they met our new little bundles for the first time. Didn't even get it on camera.
But as I was getting fixed up, everyone else got to go into the nursery to see the babies and watch them get bathed. When I was wheeled back to my room, no one was there! LOL, what the heck?!?!
And here I am...the very first time I ever held my Emmy and Jax. I remember just feeling completely overwhelmed with the realization that my heart could hold an incredible amount of love. Just as the day I gave birth to my firstborn...this day is one for the records. I will never forget the way I felt--so head-over-heels, the way they smelled, the way they looked all bundled-up in hospital blankets, the way we bonded, the way they loved me back. It was all...perfect.

3 comments:
Seriously, Kel, tears are streaming down my face! You are such an amazing mommy!
OMG. Sit down at the computer during naptime, hmmmmm lets check Kel's blog...didn't think I would be sitting here bawling my eyes out!
Seriously Kel, you're amazing. Those kids are soooooooooo lucky to have you as a mommy! I can't even say much more then that. You. are. amazing. say it :) love you
Me too. I'm crying too. What an emotional, incredible experience. It's amazing how much both babies really look like themselves right out of the womb. I can see their current "grown-up" appearances in those pictures.
Post a Comment