Saturday, April 14, 2012

Our Butterfly Experience, Part 2

On Day 8 (April 2), they actually each formed a chrysalis not long after that pic on the left was taken. The picture to the right was Day 10 (April 4). We then transferred the chrysalids from the paper disk inside the jar to the bottom part of the butterfly habitat, as the directions suggested.
Photobucket

This was just after I attached them to the wall. I was afraid of knocking one off! Each chrysalis was about an inch in length.
Photobucket

Of course the butterflies emerged while I was at work!! This was Friday, April 13 (Day 19). Kris took these next few pics through the mesh walls of the habitat, and then when I got home I opened the top and snapped a few neat ones, too.

In this picture, 3 of the butterflies were out. The red that you see is called meconium. According to the little info pamphlet, it is made up of leftover coloring from the formation process. The kids kept saying the butterflies were bleeding, and that is what it looks like.
Photobucket

4 out--1 left to go!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Little curious observers...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This has been such a neat and interesting experience for all of us! I'm hoping to release them outside in a few days as long as the weather is warm enough. It would also be fun to revisit The Butterfly House soon!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...