Monday, April 2, 2012

Our Butterfly Experience, Part 1

Photobucket

Our five caterpillars arrived in the mail from Insect Lore on Monday, March 26th. We were all anticipating their arrival, and I was so excited for the kids to get to start witnessing this amazing transformation! All three big kids were so interested in watching the caterpillars move all around inside the jar. Brody's face in each of these pictures is priceless!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Day 1 (March 26), Day 5 (March 30), Day 8 (April 2)
Photobucket
They ate and grew and ate and grew until April 2nd, when they began hanging upside down from the lid in the shape of a J. That's what these caterpillars do when they are ready for the next stage of metamorphosis: the chrysalis stage! (By the way, the word chrysalis sounds amazingly cute coming from the mouths of a 4-year-old and two 2-year-olds. :) )

3 comments:

Tracy said...

This reminds me of a gigantic colorful caterpiller we caught at Aunt Pammy's old house and took home...do you remember that? HOW AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

So fun! Can't wait to see part 2! I love Brody's expressions.

We have a butterfly kit too but have never taken the leap to order caterpillars with it yet...

Melissa said...

How fun! We did this last year, too, and really enjoyed it! Those darn butterflies are quick to hatch! I looked at them, left the room for five minutes and when I came back two had hatched! Can't wait to see more. Wish I would've taken more pics of the process! I'll have to do it again for Cora next year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...