



We made it to the Museum of Science and Industry shortly after they opened. This was great because we had the Farm Tech area basically to ourselves. I was so excited for Brody to check this area out. You should have seen his eyes when THIS was the first thing he saw upon walking in!


I didn't know it was possible for him to get any more excited, but then he caught sight of this combine!

He was able to "drive" the combine and watch the simulation on the screen in front of him. Very cool!




I guess someone had enough of the tractors! "Can't we go to, like, American Girl or something?"


Here you could time yourself getting a dairy cow ready for milking.



This display shows what happens to milk after it comes from a cow, and in the next picture Brody was feeling the difference in milk temperature--directly from the cow (nice and warm) and when it's ready for the milk truck (very cold).


Our little calves!




The screen was showing the birth of a calf! (You're welcome:) ) Really, it was soooooooo neat! Also in another area they were showing a video of piglets being born.

These next few are from the Circus exhibit:

This was like a floor piano. Each light on the ground played a different note when stepped on.

This was fun! Like the sign says, you catch the "sand" with your shadow.


Brody meets astronaut!

Pictures from this area were kinda boring, so I only included these two. Heavy machinery = happy boy! This was part of the Energy Lab.

I found this to be so interesting! This demonstrated plumbing--how water comes into our homes and where it goes after we use it.


Another really neat place was called Fast Forward. This exhibit showcases new ideas in the areas of agriculture, transportation, entertainment, energy, and more. Robots, electric cars, vertical farming...I could go on and on! I'm amazed to think of what our world will be like in the very near future.



Butterflies would land on their shadows!

The Genetics exhibit was definitely way over Brody's head, but I wanted him to see the baby chicks, AND we were lucky to see one hatching!

Transportation Gallery...

Having a late lunch, which we brought from home again.

After lunch, we spent most of our remaining time checking out the restored U-505 submarine. It was extra money to actually board the sub for a tour (we didn't), but there were so many other things to see, do, and read about on the outside. It was all very fascinating, and I must admit, I didn't know much of anything about the history of U-505's capture, but I definitely left wanting to learn more. Kris was enthralled and could've stayed here all day! I have no pictures to show of this exhibit because it said photography wasn't permitted; however, I did snap this one of Brody on the way out. As I mentioned in the last post, we've been into boats lately, and he was very excited to see a real, huge anchor!

We walked quickly through the Science Storms exhibit, where you can stand before a tornado, trigger an avalanche, create a tsunami, and more. We were getting very tired and crabby at this point!

We headed for parking shortly after this and began the long drive home. All three kids took great naps, and we were home in time for a slightly later-than-usual dinner.
I just can't tell you how much I loved the museum!! We could've spent both days here and still not gotten to everything. There's much more to this place, so my blog entry definitely does not do it any justice!! I cannot wait to go back again in maybe 3-4 years when all the kids can really get more out of each exhibit and no one is confined to a stroller.
The aquarium...well, we had fun, but I just don't think it was all that amazing, and the price was not worth it. My opinion, of course. All in all, we had a great time! It was fun to take a little trip as a family. We had a couple issues here and there, but for the most part everyone was happy and enjoyed themselves.
We'll be back, Chicago! :)

2 comments:
Wow! What an awesome museum! (And I felt the same way about the aquarium in Cinci too.) Speaking of baby calves being born... my sister in law, Kelly (the vet), just helped deliver a new baby calf on her own farm yesterday and Will just went to see it this morning. If it would ever work out for you and Brody, I'm sure Will would love to show Brody around the Riedeman farm. Brody could even take a tractor ride if I ask my father in law ahead of time, although there aren't any of "those green tractors" around this farm. They're more Case and Minneapolis Moline kind of people. ;)
Oooohhhhhhhhh that sounds awesome!!!! Brody would have the time of his life!!
Post a Comment