Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Time-Out Tidbits

Now that Brody is two, we have started a true time-out space and routine that we try to follow. Everyone's probably seen Supernanny, and I think she has the most amazing strategies and methods for dealing with children--especially discipline issues. For the past few months or so, time-outs have taken place in Brody's crib. I know some parents are afraid that their children will associate sleep with punishment using this method, but it worked like a charm for us. We felt that he needed to begin time-outs as a way to understand that his behavior or actions were unacceptable but didn't see him actually staying in one place on his bottom for a couple minutes. So we would place him in his crib for about a minute or two (with absolutely nothing in the crib to play with, obviously), go back in and re-explain why he was there, and then take him back out to resume playing...or if the infraction involved throwing or knocking something over on purpose he would help clean up.

In the past week or so, we have moved time-outs to a corner right next to the front door. We have placed a stool there for Brody to sit on. The first day using this method was a little frustrating but funny at the same time. His first experience on the stool took a bit longer than 2 minutes (2 minutes because he is 2 years) because he would not stay there on his bottom. I had to keep walking him back and telling him to sit because he was in time-out. Then after successfully completing the time-out, I walked over and explained why he had to sit there. I said that time-out was over and he could go play. I was expecting a huge smile from my child as he excitedly ran back to his toys. Mmmm, not so much. He instead decided that he was going to continue to sit on the time-out stool!! What the heck?? What did I do wrong?? I spent 10 minutes trying to get him to sit on his bootie for time-out, and now that it's over he wants to STAY??? Not only did he want to stay there, he gave me the biggest smile and giggled. After coaxing him off and trying my best to explain that time-out is not a place he wants to be, his first "new" time-out had concluded, LOL! For the remainder of that first day, I would randomly find him sitting on the stool when he was not even in time-out. He got such a kick out of it that I was beginning to get frustrated and thought this was never going to be effective!

After a week or so of this new time-out space, he has begun to realize that it is, in fact, NO FUN! Here is a funny picture from today. I guess he thought that the stool just wasn't comfortable enough, or that perhaps he's going to be spending a lot of time here, so why not make the most of it?? Now if I start to find little snacks or beverages, perhaps some reading material hidden underneath the stool we're going to have issues ;)



So what does my perfect little angel do to land himself in time-out, you ask? The biggest issue right now is throwing things. He always gets a warning or two before heading to time-out. Here's an example: He takes his sippy cup off the table and throws it on the floor. "Brody, we do not throw cups. Please pick it up or you're going to time-out." He then proceeds to look at one of us like we're crazy for even suggesting this and picks up a book and throws it. "You're going to time-out." Usually he walks behind us as we're holding his hand. He sits on the stool, sometimes crying, sometimes not. He still needs reminders to sit the whole time.

I know he doesn't understand this yet, but parents discipline their children because they LOVE them! And we sure love him to pieces and want him to be well-mannered. Wish us luck :)

1 comment:

tnbink said...

You crack me up you really do. Brody is very innovative and for that you should be proud! Only other thing I can say right now is how you truly amaze me. Who needs supernanny when you my sister is SUPERMOMMY!!!!!!! You're incredible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...