Monday, October 26, 2009

H1, N-O!!!!!

You might not want to come visit us anytime soon, ha ha! Kris came down with flu-like symptoms last Thursday. He went to the doctor, and though he was not tested for the H1N1 virus, he was given TamiFlu to treat the virus. He took the night off work Thursday and pretty much stayed in bed all day Friday. My wonderful mom was over both days to help out, so please pray she does not get sick too!! Then Saturday Brody started showing cold-like symptoms...coughing, sneezing, runny nose. He was up several times overnight, and then when Sunday morning rolled around he just looked miserable. He threw up (probably from coughing so much) right after he got up in the morning. His temperature was about 101 if I recall. Then shortly after that, Kris gave him some juice and a small bowl of sliced bananas. Brody was standing at our coffee table eating them and suddenly just fell over backwards. After standing up he vomited again. I had remained very calm inside until that moment because I began thinking about a friend's nephew who recently had a febrile seizure. She had said that her nephew fell and wasn't acting himself before the seizure happened, and I couldn't get that out of my mind. Kris took Brody to St. V's after that while I stayed home with the twins. As a side note, our power was out that morning so I struggled to find something to do to take my mind off everything.

Again, the doctor at V's didn't test for the H1N1 but gave Brody TamiFlu to treat the symptoms. I guess he wouldn't leave Kris's shoulder for the majority of the time at the hospital, but he perked up a bit after some nausea meds, popsicles, and the first dose of TamiFlu. When they finally got home he was back to being miserable again. Whiny, clingy, red cheeks, snotting all over. The only way he would nap was if Kris held him. After he woke up from his nap he was burning up. His fever was about 102, and we started getting a little nervous again. I'm thinking his outfit and the fact that he was laying on Kris maybe contributed a little to the fever, so after a dose of Tylenol Kris gave him a lukewarm bath and we dressed him in a cooler outfit. The fever came down and after awhile he seemed like his normal self...running around, asking to use the potty, ate a little bit. He was up a few times overnight, but today (Monday) is much improved! Fever is gone and no more runny nose. He is still coughing and sneezing, but he is acting more like himself again.

So...am I next?? God, I hope not. I told Kris I do not have the "luxury" of laying in bed all day if I get sick...I have two babies to feed and take care of!!! We are worried about the twins coming down with something, but the doctors at the hospital and Dr. Kennedy have said that since they are exclusively breastfed we probably have nothing to worry about. I am passing on protective antibodies to the twins through my milk, and these antibodies will help them fight off infections they come into contact with. Isn't a woman's body amazing??? I have also read NOT to stop breastfeeding if I do come down with something, and any medicine that I have to take for the flu should not interfere with breastfeeding...yay!!

I want to know what all the H1N1 hype is about? On the news several times they have started off with, "Another confirmed case of H1N1 in (fill in the blank) County." If doctors are not even testing for it, what do we care anyways?? A couple weeks ago there were over 100 absences in one day at Lake Schools...if the seasonal flu hasn't even hit yet, then all these students were probably sick with H1N1. And if Kris and Brody did in fact have the virus, they were both feeling better in a little over a day. I really think too much is being made of this...it's the FLU, people!!!!!!
Taking a walk Monday evening...
Checking out the bird feeders after our walk
They were swinging the feeders and pretending to take bites, lol.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...