Most people don't know that March 2nd was not only the twins' half-birthday...it was also the birthday of one of the greatest, most creative authors (in my opinion) EVER! Dr. Seuss!!
Every year in my classroom we devote an entire week to Seuss books and fun activities and treats, so I couldn't let this opportunity pass by without trying something fun with Brody.
I decided to have him help me make a batch of oobleck--which I've actually never done before so it was a bit of an experiment. Oobleck is based on the book, Bartholomew and the Oobleck. It is pretty cool because it has properties of both a solid and a liquid.
The recipe is simple...it's just water and corn starch. Brody helped stir.
You can also add food coloring if you want colored oobleck. Brody chose orange, so we alternated putting in drops of yellow and red until we got a light orange.
Sooooooooo, here he is touching it. He was NOT impressed, but...Kris and I had an absolute BLAST with it, LOL! I think Brody is just too young to get how neat this actually is. We could grab a little ball of this stuff, and then it would just fall through our fingers!
These pictures are blurry because Kris was punching the oobleck over and over. Here the substance was like a solid. It was hard and didn't make any sort of mess. You're almost afraid to do this because it looks like it should splash all over the place.
...and then he slowly put his finger through...
...and it acted as a liquid! Crazy!!
Kris and I were ohh-ing and ahh-ing over this while Brody was being a stinker and wanted our attention. He was probably thinking, "Come on guys, this is dumb...let's find something fun to do." Supposedly you can store the oobleck in the fridge for awhile, so maybe I'll bring it back out and try again at a later date to show Brody it's extreme coolness!
Brody's favorite Dr. Seuss book of the moment is Hop on Pop. I love this book too because it has such a nice rhythm and is so fun to read. Mine is Green Eggs and Ham--always has been!
A few random pics:
A few random pics:

3 comments:
No Dr. Seuss in our classrooms this year - you would have been sad!
Maybe I'll celebrate Dr. Suess' half birthday and make oobleck on September 2nd! That looks and sounds so fun!! And I don't like to be late so no belated celebration for us. :) I love how Emmy and Jax seem to be mesmerized with each other sometimes. The shirts are adorable! Great job Grandma!
Ooh- I love ooblek! So fun. Also love the backwards hat Brodster! :) haha. And Sophie used to sit/sleep that way in the swing too.
Post a Comment