Friday, July 22, 2011

TGIF Quotables #8

(Remember this little "series" I tried to start months and months ago? LOL, I simply just forgot about it. So maybe these'll pop up sporatically, who knows...)

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."
-Mary Anne Radmacher

It feels longer, but I've really only been in this Mommy business for just under four years now. But it sure didn't take long to realize that there will be good days...there will be bad days...and there will be plenty of in-between days.

I guess the reason this quote is so meaningful to me is because I have those days where I feel like all I've done is make mistakes the whole way through. And there are nights I sit, exhausted, on the couch and second-guess things I did or said that day. Was I too hard on Brody? Did I expect too much in this situation? Maybe I should have disciplined that... Maybe I should have let that one go... Why did I yell at him/her for that? Did each child get enough attention today? Did they feel how much I love them?

It would be so easy to just have all the answers and make the right parenting choices all the time. But no parent is perfect--of this I am certain. I don't really think parenting is something that can be perfected. It's a constant learning process, complete with trials-and-errors, live-and-learns, could'ves, should'ves, and would'ves.

And yet, we all (hopefully) wake up each morning striving to be better. To be more patient, more consistent, more loving. A better example of how we want our kids to act, to treat others, and to handle emotions.

We want to become better and "try again tomorrow" because...they are worth it...and they deserve the best of you.
7/21/2011
No matter how many times I was told, "No!" in a single day or how many times I had toys rammed into my ankles or the amount of diaper messes and mealtime messes I've cleaned up...they're still worth it.

I simply don't know where I'd be or who I'd be without them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS POST!!!!!!!
Best thing I've read in I don't know how long. And I can so relate to that sitting-down-exhausted feeling with all the could've, would've, should'ves running through my head.
You're right that no parent is perfect in always *doing* the right thing *all* the time. But just the fact that you think and practice all those things you just wrote... makes you a perfect mom. I love that you said "because they deserve the best of you". That reminds me of the "Lead Me" song by Sanctus Real. Your kiddos are very lucky, Kelly.

Casey Rethman said...

:) Just LOVE this!

Becky said...

As I read this post, it summed up exactly what I think on a daily basis. Many times at night after she has gone to bed, I sit and wonder if I give her enough of me during the day in between the cooking meals, cleaning the house, running errands.....I think we will always second guess ourselves, but I know everytime she calls my name and wants to hug and kiss me that she does know exactly how much I love her! I am sure your kids feel exactly the same. You are a great mom and all great moms doubt themselves. That is what makes us great!

tnbink said...

LOVE! I don't even need to say anything else because ashley and becky said exactly what I was going to say. (well, my words probably wouldn't have sounded that good haha)

Kendra said...

True that, Kel! They are definetly worth it! And so are you! Down the road they'll reflect in the same way and want to make sure they are giving you their all too. While somedays it seems like having all the answers would be ideal, the ups and downs of life is what really gives us perspective and makes us gracious of those amazingly perfect moments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...