I find myself daydreaming a lot. Well, technically it's not during the day. It happens about 11 o'clock at night as I'm lying in bed. You would think I'd be able to fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, but that is not the case. I find it hard to relax and get myself into sleeping mode when I know I'll be up tending to a crying baby at any minute...
So, I lie in bed staring at the monitor with a million thoughts running through my mind. Anything from replaying the day's events, to thinking about something funny Brody did, to making a mental list of all the things I need to do around the house, to dreading my re-entry into the working world, to...reminiscing. You may think I'm nuts, but lately I find myself really missing the craziness of September to October--when we were adjusting to having newborn twins in our family, as well as a confused almost-2-year-old who craved all of our attention. And I knew back then that this was exactly how I was going to feel...that's why I could so easily push through those (seriously) sleepless nights and my sheer exhaustion each day. I wanted to soak up every little experience and detail. So what if I was running on a few broken hours of sleep? So what if I spent countless hours per day nursing two babies? It didn't matter. I was loving every second and learning as I went.
Anyways, I feel a little sad sometimes when I think back on those early weeks. I remember feeling this way about Brody as well...probably around the end of my six-week maternity leave. (WHAT?! Six weeks?? Yep, a mere six weeks.) Don't get me wrong--I LOVE where we are now, and I love each and every stage of development Brody has been through. But there's just something completely out-of-this-world special about that newborn stage. I think I love it so much because the miracle of life is so fresh. So new. So right there in your face. When you hold your precious baby/ies in your arms for the first time...really, what more proof do you need of God's existence?
So, I lie in bed staring at the monitor with a million thoughts running through my mind. Anything from replaying the day's events, to thinking about something funny Brody did, to making a mental list of all the things I need to do around the house, to dreading my re-entry into the working world, to...reminiscing. You may think I'm nuts, but lately I find myself really missing the craziness of September to October--when we were adjusting to having newborn twins in our family, as well as a confused almost-2-year-old who craved all of our attention. And I knew back then that this was exactly how I was going to feel...that's why I could so easily push through those (seriously) sleepless nights and my sheer exhaustion each day. I wanted to soak up every little experience and detail. So what if I was running on a few broken hours of sleep? So what if I spent countless hours per day nursing two babies? It didn't matter. I was loving every second and learning as I went.
Anyways, I feel a little sad sometimes when I think back on those early weeks. I remember feeling this way about Brody as well...probably around the end of my six-week maternity leave. (WHAT?! Six weeks?? Yep, a mere six weeks.) Don't get me wrong--I LOVE where we are now, and I love each and every stage of development Brody has been through. But there's just something completely out-of-this-world special about that newborn stage. I think I love it so much because the miracle of life is so fresh. So new. So right there in your face. When you hold your precious baby/ies in your arms for the first time...really, what more proof do you need of God's existence?
I often look over to the spot at the side of our bed where the pack-and-play stood. I can remember so clearly a newborn Brody fast asleep, me staring at him unable to sleep. I couldn't take my eyes off him! Was that really 2 1/2 years ago?? I can picture Emmy and Jax--in that order--sleeping away. So precious and tiny! How did seven months fly by like that?
My favorite line is: Trust me friend, a hundred years goes faster than you think...so don't blink.
And while I do realize that I can't yet grasp the full meaning of this song, (My kids are 2 1/2 and 7 months...I cannot even fathom the thought that they will be my age some day, with kids of their own.) it still speaks to me, as I know it does to many. It's such a wonderful reminder to live in the moment and appreciate all the small things in your life that really make your life worth living.
Newborn:So I've been through the newborn stage with all three of my kiddos. Maybe I'm feeling sentimental about this stage because I know we may never go through this again...who knows? But I love the "newness" of everything. I loved watching my new babies sleep. I loved touching their tiny little fingers and toes. I loved how they were instantly calm and comforted laying on my chest and listening to my heartbeat. While at the hospital having skin-to-skin time with one of the twins, I distinctly remember thinking that I could stay in that same position forever! I loved getting to know each of my babies and figuring out what their individual needs were. They couldn't have been more perfect in my eyes, and I was in love with each of them from the moment I first saw them. (Even before then, to be honest.)
Brody: (These two look a little funny because they were scanned.)

Emmy & Jax
The Toddler Years:Most people consider the toddler years to be ages 1-3. Sooooooooo many changes Brody has gone through since turning one! Heck, since turning two he has gone through an incredible amount of change. Although we spent quite a few months wondering and worrying about his silence, I have really enjoyed this toddler stage. The thing I love the most is that he truly has become this little, (mostly) independent person. He has clear likes and dislikes, he is learning new things daily, and he knows and understands our schedule/routines. I love that he is developing a very strong sense of empathy--something I think is so important. He recognizes when one of the babies is sad. It makes him sad, and he tries to "fix" it immediately by alerting me or talking to them or bringing them toys. He knows that he can make me happy with hugs and kisses, and he does so often! I just love him so much and am amazed daily that not long ago he was my only baby. :)
There's a truly awesome song by Kenny Chesney entitled, "Don't Blink." Most everyone has heard this before, but it is a great song about a man just turning 102 years old and being asked about the secret of life. Sometimes I can hear the lyrics playing in my head at the most random moments. Driving down the road...watching one of my children sleep...sitting at the dinner table...playing with Brody...and on and on.
My favorite line is: Trust me friend, a hundred years goes faster than you think...so don't blink.
And while I do realize that I can't yet grasp the full meaning of this song, (My kids are 2 1/2 and 7 months...I cannot even fathom the thought that they will be my age some day, with kids of their own.) it still speaks to me, as I know it does to many. It's such a wonderful reminder to live in the moment and appreciate all the small things in your life that really make your life worth living.
Let's just take a look at all the fun stages we've been through. Thankfully, each one is different but equally fun and amazing!
Newborn:
Brody: (These two look a little funny because they were scanned.)

Jaxson:
Emmy & Jax
Infancy:
A baby is an infant until his/her first birthday. This stage is crazy-jam-packed with fun and amazing changes and developments. Some of my favorites are smiling socially, laughing out loud, babbling, hopefully sleeping through the night, and introducing solid foods. During Brody's first year I remember feeling so excited and ridiculously proud after each developmental milestone he reached. Rolling, crawling, standing, walking with help, walking alone. It's like I was watching my son go for the gold medal at the Olympics. Yes! He did it!! Cue the National Anthem!! Ha, ha! And I can tell you it is definitely as exciting the second (and third) time around. Em and Jax are so darn fun right now. Their smiles and laughs brighten my mood no matter what, and when they spot me from across the room and break out into an ear-to-ear grin...ahhhhh, there's nothing like it! One thing I didn't get to experience during Brody's first year I get to experience times two with Em and Jax...their love and adoration for their older sibling. I think they smile more for him than anyone else!Brody:
Emmy & Jax:
The Toddler Years:
Brody around one year of age:
About 13 months:
A cute two-year-old!

We're moving full steam ahead, and I guess we'll soon officially be entering a new stage before ya know it: preschooler! I am looking forward to that very much. And when I start to feel sad about all the time that has gone by, I will remind myself what an awesome journey this is, and I get to be a part of it ALL!
This was shortly before Brody turned two. It's funny how everything around this time changed to "big-boy" this and "big-boy" that. Bed, room, cup, potty, etc.
A cute two-year-old!
And now, 2 1/2!
We're moving full steam ahead, and I guess we'll soon officially be entering a new stage before ya know it: preschooler! I am looking forward to that very much. And when I start to feel sad about all the time that has gone by, I will remind myself what an awesome journey this is, and I get to be a part of it ALL!








1 comment:
Ahh! I was totally crying at the beginning of this post about the not blinking stuff. That's so true. And I know I've said this several times but your kids are sooo cute! That was a beautiful post.
Post a Comment