The babies are beginning their first solid food this week (rice cereal), and it got me thinking about some quirky food fetishes we Garmans have! I have more than either Brody or Kris :)
Me:
1. My sister Tracy and I are both this way...milk is the best when it's poured over several ice cubes. Mmmm, so darn refreshing.
2. If a food or drink is supposed to be served hot...it better BE hot, not warm. I am constantly warming my food or drinks up in the microwave to get it to that perfect temperature.
3. In the same way, if a food or drink is supposed to be cold...it better be FREEZING cold! There is no in-between for me.
4. I hate whole torilla chips. I always break them in half before placing them in my mouth so that they do not touch my lips. I hate the feeling of salt on my lips.
5. I usually eat the side dish(es) before even touching the main dish.
6. This is going to make me sound mean, but I am often very leary of eating food brought in by my students. You just never know how it was prepared.
7. I often eat cupcakes with a fork...and sometimes I only eat the top half. You knooooow...the half with all the frosting?!?!
8. Before choosing a cookie, I quickly (or not-so-quickly) scan (or, um get out my magnifying glass and study) the plate for the cookie with the most chocolate chips, or the most frosting, or the most M&M's, etc. :o)
9. I hardly ever eat pizza crust.
10. Not really a quirk, but I will forever think that my MOM is the best cook in the whole wide world.
**I am limiting my list to ten, ha ha!
Kris:
1. If we are eating some type of casserole that is layered, he always stirs everything all together so that it doesn't look nearly as pretty. He says he needs to mix everything together.
2. He does not feel the same way about hot/cold as I do. He often grabs something leftover from the fridge and eats it cold, and he lets his coffee sit for-ev-er because it's too hot for him.
3. This is just annoying...he eats whatever the heck he wants and is still skinny.
4. Takes forever to make a sandwich because everything must be spread evenly on the bread. For example, if spreading peanut butter on a slice of bread he is careful that every square inch is covered with no bread showing around the edges of the peanut butter.
*So I can't think of many for him, but I could be adding more later.
Brody:
1. Every once in awhile, Brody won't eat banana slices. He insists that he wants a "big one," i.e. not cut up. So I usually slice half the banana and reserve the other half in case he wants a "big one." If so, I can just give him that other half.
2. Yogurt, oatmeal, applesauce, soups, and the like must be stirred...at least 100 times.
3. Depending on the day, everything round or soft (blueberries, grapes, bananas, etc.) must be squeeze-tested before consumption.
4. I often catch him picking off and eating cucumber seeds before eating the actual slice.
5. Now that he's talking, he loves to touch each food before we eat and report to us whether it's hot or cold. Same goes with colors. Adorable!
6. He almost always gobbles his fruit up first.
Speaking of food, this also has me reminiscing about a little game my siblings and I (mainly sister and I) used to play when we were young. We called it "Taste Test," I believe, and I'm not sure how or why we were allowed to do it...Mom must've been at work, LOL. So anyway, the rules were pretty simple...one of us sat in a chair blindfolded, and the other got to shove spoonfuls of ANY food item we could find from the fridge or cupboards into the the taste-tester's mouth. The taster, of course, then had to guess what was just lovingly placed into his/her mouth. Horseradish, anyone? Barbeque sauce, mustard, cinnamon, coffee grounds. As you can see, nothing was off limits! Ahh, memories...
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
That game sounds horrible. Did you play it more than once? I would have been out after round 1!
Me again......I almost never eat anything my kids bring in that is homemade. If it is prepackaged that's different and there are just a few families I trust. Besides not knowing how it is prepared, the kids usually touch them as they are handing it to you.....and God only knows what they touched or how well they cleaned their hands (which I always make them do before passing out snacks but still........). Also, I'm the same way with tortilla chips. I don't think I've ever eaten a whole one! Too funny!
My food quirks:
1. (You know this one) I don't eat anything artificially blue. Naturally blue (as in blueberries) is ok, but that nasty blue color that I ALWAYS associate with blue raspberry is strictly off-limits.
2. I HATE when my food touches on my plate. Each item needs to stay separate - I really should still be using divided plates. One exception: Thanksgiving - just too many good choices to care if they touch or not.
Logan's recent food quirks:
1. If it's hot, I MUST blow on it before giving it to him, even after it's cooled enough not to need blowing anymore. And he always has to blow after me.
2. He wants to eat everything by himself. This gets a little messy with foods like yogurt, applesauce, and the like. I'm often in a hurry or just not feeling like cleaning up a mess (especially at breakfast RIGHT after I've just dressed him), so it's usually a battle as to who feeds him. I try to give him something else that he CAN eat independently while I try to sneak in the spoon-fed food in between.
Todd's food quirks:
1. He HATES all things vegetable. I try to tell him that he's not setting a good example, but he doesn't care.
2. Not really a food quirk, but he leaves plates and cups all over the house. Ugh!
I am SURE I was at work!! I don't think I could have watched someone jam horseradish in one of my little ones mouths...or were you guys teenagers a the time if this game ?!?!?!?
OMG!!!! I'm seriously in tears right nowremembering coffee grounds....oh how I love them now! Pretty odd..I knew about our common milk practice however I did not know we shared all the other quirks. lol I seriously heat up one glass of coffee like 5 times before I finish it. The one we differ on is your cupcake fetish, I have always thought you were strange for that one. lol
I do have to eat M&Ms and pretzals and things of that sort in 2s and can never eat the same color together, orange goes with green, blue goes with red, so on and so forth. Which brings me to the next one you missed...you eat all the m&ms out of trail mixes. I always knew when you got to it first!
Oh and that game inspired another game my friends and I did...be lucky you weren't around for this. We always did it at Freeman's house. Along the same lines as "taste test" but everything was throw into a blender so it could be served in a glass. yep. mmmm mmmm good lol
HA! Love the taste test game! For some reason I am not at all surprised you guys played that. You’re also very talented when it comes to finding food pairings that resemble each other. Pretzels dipped in Tabasco = chicken wings. Candy corn + peanut = peanut m&m’s (?) HA!!
OMG I totally remember you two freaks sitting on the kitchen floor at our apartment eating pretzals & tabasco...I may actually have a picture lol!
Oh, come on Tracy! You know you were pleasantly surprised when you tried it!! :)
Post a Comment