Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Holy Language Explosion!

Remember a few weeks ago I provided a speech update, complete with a list of about 30 words that Brody finally was able to say on his own?? Yeah, well...that will be the one and only list of words I will be providing for you because...I JUST CAN'T KEEP UP ANYMORE!! I am so thrilled to report that he is making great strides and saying new words on a daily basis. It is pretty incredible.

Rewind to less than a month ago...one Saturday morning I sat down with Brody to go over some of his word flashcards. It was a difficult session, and I was getting very frustrated. He would just stare at every card I showed him and wouldn't even attempt saying the words. Not even what I perceive to be "easy" words, like go. I told Kris later about it and that I was just feeling so bummed and frustrated and wished there was something more I could do to help him. Then a few days later Kris was telling Deb, Brody's therapist, about this, and she said not to worry because while he may not be repeating or even trying the words, he is still taking everything in and processing it.

She was definitely right! Later that week was when he began saying tons of words and repeating many things we would say. Now, he is even putting 2 words together (Daddy go, Mama home, Dada come, purple bowl, etc.) We are so proud of his progress! Just months ago I was worried that he'd be starting school, not being able to say anything, no one wanting to play with him or be his friend. It would bring tears to my eyes.

I am just so happy right now! And, more importantly, I KNOW Brody is a happier boy. He is finally able to express some of the thoughts/words that have been stuck in his head for a long time. It almost feels like I'm getting to know him more and more each day as his language skills improve!

4 comments:

Amy said...

YYAAAAAYYYYYYY!!! This makes me so happy, and I know it's a huge relief for you! Congratulations Brody - keep up the good work! :)

Casey Rethman said...

His therapist sounds like an amazing person! You should send her one of your fun treats. I know you have some super creative idea up in your head where you can incorporate what she does into some tasty treat. LOL And I'm so super excited for Brody!

Kendra said...

FABULOUS!!! This amazing progress reinforces the decision you and Kris made to enroll Brody in class and with the therapist. I'm so happy for all of you and VERY PROUD!!! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly! I know I've never met you, but I'm Casey's sister and I've enjoyed reading your blog for awhile now. I've contemplated commenting numerous times but this time I couldn't resist. I just wanted to say how awesome it is that Brody is making so much progress with his speech! How exciting! He's very lucky to have such a smart and proactive mom on his side too. You have such a cute family and I LOVE the links you posted about creative food stuff. I might have to try some of those muffin tin ideas - very clever!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...