It's not a big class...I want to say no more than 7-8 kids?? Some may have speech issues like Brody, and some may have other sensory-type difficulties. There is a speech therapist that rotates between 2 rooms working with the various children. Parents can stay and watch the class through observation windows, which I really like. You can put on headphones and listen to everything going on inside the room as well.
When Brody first started going the beginning of December, he cried the entire time. Two. Whole. Hours. I would be at home taking care of the babies and feeling absolutely sick to my stomach for him. He has never been dropped off at daycare or at a babysitter's house, so this was a completely new and likely scary experience for him. We have been lucky up to this point that we have not had to spend a good chunk of our money on childcare; however, the price we paid is that Brody was not used to being in the care of anyone other than family.
The teachers there are truly amazing. I mean, really. I have grades 1-8 on my teaching license for a reason. NO WAY would I be able to teach children this young. If I had to carry on with my lesson plans all the while listening to a sobbing child for two full hours...I might just lose my freaking mind. They are saints, and Kris and I both are so thankful for their love and patience with our child!
Well, what a difference just a few weeks made. Now Brody loves to go! Kris sometimes even has to ask for a goodbye hug! Kris used to stay and watch the whole two hours just to make sure Brody would be okay, but now he leaves and comes back at pick-up time. The kids get to do so many fun things...painting, various art projects, physical activity time, stories, toys. I knew he would love going once he realized that everything was okay and Daddy will always come back to get him! The kids all sit around a cute little table towards the end of class and eat a snack together. When I saw this on Brody's first day, it was so adorable I almost cried!!! The kids have to drink out of a normal cup, and Brody has become very good at doing this. Oh! He has even made his first real friend...a cute little blonde boy named Tyler and him have become good buddies.
I cannot tell you how relieved I am that Brody finally enjoys going to school, and I think this is a big piece of the puzzle when it comes to his speech improvements.
All dressed and ready to go Thursday morning. This is my favorite outfit of his right now!

4 comments:
What a little stud! I love his outfit. And did you really worry that YOUR child wouldn't love school? I had no doubt that he would love learning! Way to go, B!
What a handsome little dude! The school looks like so much fun!
The guitar shirt is PERFECT! That would make any outfit awesome! I’m so glad Brody is enjoying school- and his buddy Tyler too! I know the beginning was very difficult for all of you, but look at the progress. STELLAR! A+ for all of you, including amazing teachers! :)
Be lucky you weren't teaching your class this year. If you had been there, you would have NEVER let Brody become friends with Tyler. The name Tyler would FOREVER be on your list of kids's names that you just can't stand! But I'm glad Brody's made a friend and is doing so well!
Post a Comment